Top try scorers

Michael Lieberum 19

Joe Reisterer 10

Wayde Kelly 7

Tom Grigson 7

Dujon Jorgenson 5

Wayne Baker 5

Jamie Fraser 5

Trent Blomfield 4

Aaron Redfern 4

 Click here for the full list of tryscorers for the Hoists in 2010

Presentation Awards 2010 


Matt Scott 


Michael Lieberum 


Wayde Kelly 



Jamie Fraser 


Ben Andrews 


Lewis Hussey 



 Michael Lieberum


Tim Smith 


 Michael Cremona





The Hills Hoists have ended their 2010 on a high defeating Bedford Tigers 50-18 in a pretty comfortable win and in doing so retained their London League title.

Our captain Gavin Anderson - 'We really put it together out there today. I know a few boys were disappointed with how our Conference team went out of the finals last week and today was their chance to make amends and they all stepped up.'

Coach Paul Farah echoed his captains comments - 'We started the season with goals of taking out both competitions' said Farah.

'After our performance last week, I or the boys were excepting nothing but a win here today'

The win topped off another successful season for the club with the Hoists retaining not only their London League but the ANZAC Challenge and London 9's tournament.
'2010 has been another great year for our club. We retained our London League and ANZAC Challenge titles and finished second on the Conference ladder - all in all a great year and hopefully the boys that are around next year can continue to help this club grow'.

As always the Hoists farewell several key players who travel back to Australia including Ben Andrews, Chris Pomfret and inaugural players Wayne Baker and Matthew Cameron. Again the rebuilding begins.

Hills Hoists
50 (tries T.Smith, W.Kelly 2, D.Loader, C.Peach, T.Grigson, S.Royle, M.Cameron, D.French 1, goals C.Peach 6/9, G.Anderson 1/1) def Bedford Tigers 18

Players player -
3 Daniel Loader, 2 Steve Royle, 1 Chris Pomfret


ANZAC Challenge Rugby League Winners 2010 

Kangaroos 38 Def Kiwis 12

Click Here to read the match report


Semi Final Match Reports

 Hills Hoists through to consecutive London League grand finals

 The Hammersmith Hills Hoists overcame the Northampton Demons 36-12 at home on Saturday to book themselves a grand final spot next Saturday where they will defend the title they won in their inaugural year.

Top games from captain Gavin Anderson and Matt Ettia while towering forward Steve Dixon took out the players player award.

The Hoists travel to St Albans to face Bedford Tigers in the final after they overcame East London Phantoms in the corresponding semi.

Captain Gavin Anderson leads his victorious Hoists from the field


West London Sharks end Hills Hoists Conference season

The Hammersmith Hills Hoists conference season has come to an end after going down to West London Sharks 38-24 on Saturday.

Despite having the home ground advantage the Hoists could not match the enthusiasm shown by their opposition in the see-sawing clash.

In atrocious conditions Sharks opened the scoring early but the Hoists struck straight back through winger Tom Grigson in the corner. However ill discipline and poor handling cost the home team with back to back sets cruelling the Hoists for the rest of the first half with Sharks running in several tries to go in to the half leading 24-4.

Coach Paul Farah, sensing his team were lacking a bit of composure gave his customary inspiring half time talk, which had the boys in the green and gold ready to go.

A different looking team came out, lead by halfback Wayde Kelly who began controlling the forwards in the middle of the park. ‘Smoking’ Joe Riesterer finished off a classy backline move to score minutes after the break with Chris Peach converting to make it 24-10.

The next set and the Hoists were again on the front foot and working their way up the middle of the field through Matt Scott and Daniel Swanson rolling up their sleeves to do the tough stuff up the middle.

Try scoring sensation Michael Lieberum soon opened his account for the day after showing some fancy footwork to cross the stripe soon after. Peach converted to make the score 24-16.

The wind was taken quickly out of the Hoists sails when a loose ball was scooped up on half way for the Sharks winger to run away and score in the corner.

With time not on the Hoists side, Lieberum again stepped up, combining with halfback Kelly in the middle of the field to step the tiring forwards and sprint away to score in the corner. Peach missed the conversion leaving the score at 20-28.

Handling errors again cost the Hoists when they gifted the ball to the Sharks deep in their own territory who made them pay, crossing for a try to extend their lead to 34-20.

In what seemed like de ja vu Kelly again combined with centre Lieberum who scored a near exact replica of his earlier try only this time was injured putting the ball down leaving the Hoists without their main strike weapon for the remaining ten minutes.

A last push by the Hoists resulted in a cheap turn over letting the Sharks centre stride away to put the nail in the Hoists 2010 coffin.

Coach Paul Farah said he was proud of the effort his team put in.

‘Our 2010 season has been fantastic’ said a dejected Farah after the loss.

‘We came in to today confident of coming away with the win but things don’t always go your way. The boys can hold their heads high especially knowing that we came so far after being promoted two grades from last season’.

Prop Ben Andrews said the slow start had again cost his team.

‘They came out pretty fired up, getting up off the line really quick’ said Andrews.

‘It seemed after half time we got a bit of our groove back but you cant give a quality team like that a twenty point lead especially in such a big game’.

On a brighter note the Hoists reserve grade team go through to the London League grand final to defend the title they won last year after defeating Northampton Demons 36-12.

The reserve team will play Bedford Tigers at St Albans this weekend.

West London Sharks 38 def Hills Hoists 24 (M.Lieberum 3, T.Grigson, J.Riesterer tries, C.Peach 2/5 goals)


 Monday 2nd August

Top four finalised after Hills Hoists end Storms season

The Hammersmith Hills Hoists have continued their resurgence in the Premier South competition after a comfortable 52-18 defeat of South London Storm at Mitcham on Saturday.

The win ends the final hopes of the Storm who needed the win to be any chance of catching fourth placed Eastern Rhinos.

The Hoists made their intentions known early when a sweeping move from the kick-off sent fullback Daniel Partridge over the stripe in the first set of the game. Another try in the following minutes made the score 12-0.

It then seemed like complacency started to creep into the Hoists game as ill discipline and poor defensive reads saw the Storm post two quick tries. A rev up behind the line from captain Matthew Cameron got the Hoists attitude back on track with the Hoists crossing to go into halftime leading 18-8.

Despite a late push in the second half by the Storm the Hoists never looked in trouble and ran away comfortable winners with tries to Michael Cremona, Jamie Fraser and centre Michael Lieberum to extend his leading try scoring tally to 14 for the season. 

A great effort from returning lock Dan ‘The Wizard’ Swanson who took out player’s player and as always prop Matt Scott worked tirelessly all afternoon to get his team on the front foot.

‘We only started really putting it together at the end of the game’ said stand-in coach Luke Wiggins. 

‘I think we lost a bit of composure after scoring two quick tries at the start of the game and thought it was going to be a stroll in the park but the Storm made us work for it’.

‘Hopefully we can hit the ground running again this weekend against Hainault but keep the foot on the pedal for the entirety of the game because we can’t afford to let teams back in especially come finals time’.

The win means Hammersmith will face rivals West London Sharks in the semi finals with this week’s games determining the venue for the spiteful clash.

‘Obviously this week’s game still means a fair bit for us’ said captain Matthew Cameron following the victory at Mitcham.

‘We know we’re in the finals and we know who we’re facing (Sharks) but a win this week will go a long way to us hosting the semi. Even though the Bulldogs (Hainault) aren’t in finals contention we know they are going to give it their all to topple us’.

The Hoists play at home this weekend against Hainault Bulldogs. Kick-off at 2.30pm at Twyford Park, Acton W3 9QA.

Hammersmith 52 (tries M.Lieberum 3, D.Partridge, S.Royale, J.Fraser, A.Redfern, M.Cremona, T.Smith 1, goals W.Kelly 5/6, C.Peach 3/3) def South London Storm 18

Players Player – Daniel Swanson


Sunday 25 July

Hills Hoists back on track after come from behind win


The Hammersmith Hills Hoists have bounced back from two consecutive defeats to overcome the Portsmouth Navy Seahawks in Portsmouth on Saturday.

The Hoists were desperate for the win after losses to West London Sharks and St Albans Centurions put their finals hopes on the line. But the third placed Hoists did it the hard way after they found themselves down 22-10 early in the first half.

The Hoists were boosted by the returns of centre Michael Lieberum and fullback Daniel Partridge. But after losing props Ben Andrews and Gavin Anderson early the Hoists were always going to do it tough against the sizeable navy pack. But the boys rolled up their sleeves and toughed out a hard fought 36-22 win.

Assistant coach Luke Wiggins said the effort showed his side still has what it takes to challenge for the premiership.

‘We weren’t too worried about the last two losses but it does get your confidence down a little bit especially coming into the finals’ said Wiggins.

‘But the effort the boys put in today can’t be questioned. To come from behind like that against a formidable side puts us in good stead for the final two rounds’.

Prop and man of the match Matt Scott praised his fellow forwards.

‘We lacked a fair bit of size out there today’ said Scott.

‘Some boys had to step up in the forwards after we lost Bop (Andrews) and Gav (Anderson). If you had a look at both teams you would think they would run all over us but our smaller guys rolled up their sleeves and did the tough stuff in the middle, and did it well’.

The Hoists travel to Surrey this Saturday to take on the South London Storm who will no doubt be looking to make up for their last minute loss to the Hoists earlier in the competition.

Hammersmith Hills Hoists 36 (tries J.Riesterer 2, T.Grigson, M.Scott, A.Redfern, W.Kelly, I.Potts, goals W.Kelly 4/7) def Portsmouth Navy Seahawks 22

Players player – Matt Scott 


Saturday 17 July

Centurions to strong for Hoists

The Hammersmith Hills Hoists have gone down 56-16 in their top of the table clash against St Albans Centurions at home on Saturday.

Despite the return of several key players the Hoists could not contain the table topping Centurions who were no doubt out for revenge after losing the corresponding game earlier in the season.

Coach Paul Farah said despite the score line he was happy with attitude his players had put forward.

Picture courtesy of St Albans RLFC 

‘We were pretty upset with our performance last week against the Sharks so today was just about fixing up certain areas of our game, particularly our attitude on the field’ said Farah.

‘We may have been beaten more convincingly this week but I felt our boys tried their hardest out there and put their bodies on the line.’

The Hoists started the game strongly but were unable to capitalise on a mountain of early possession. Weaknesses in the defence started to show when the Hoists were put under pressure by repeat sets gifted to the Centurions.

Kiel Jaegar was the man to open to the Hoists account when he chipped and regathered but this was all the Hoists had to cheer for in the opening half as the Centurions dominated possession, posting several quick tries.

A rev up from coach Farah had the Hoists primed for the second half and they came out firing scoring the first try.

Mistakes started to creep into the Hosits game and the defensive workload from the first half began to take its toll as the Cents piled on the points.

Captain Matthew Cameron said his team, still down on numbers, would fight back from the back to back losses.

‘We’re still in finals contention so there aren’t really alarm bells going off just yet’ said Cameron.

‘Up until two weeks ago we were unbeaten in 2010 and had beaten this side earlier in the year, a side we consider the benchmark in the competition.’

‘Hopefully we can bounce back this week.’

Good performances again from Kiel Jaegar and Chris Pomfret while prop Brendan Eckert was again a handful for the Centurions. Special mention must also go to Jose Da Silva Correia who impressed in his first game in the green and gold.

The Hoists hit the road this week as they take on the Portsmouth Navy Seahawks at Portsmouth.

St Albans Centurions 56 def Hills Hoists 16 (Tries K.Jaegar, W.Kelly, T.Blomfield, goals W.Kelly 2/3)

Players Player – Kiel Jaeger 3, Jose Da Silva Correia 2, Brendan Eckert/Chris Pomfret 1



Hills Hoists v West London Sharks

The London heat and a well oiled machine bring the Hills Hoists undone

The Hills Hoists took on their local rivals, the West London Sharks in what was one of the hottest days of the summer.  With nine players deputising for the Hoists first grade team combined with the heat the Hoists were always going to be in for a tough afternoon of Rugby League.

From the outset the team lacked cohesion, which was evident with so much drop ball, set after set. The Sharks continued to play with good structure and discipline and with the amount of extra tackling the Hoists had to do it wasn’t long before simple tackles were being missed and the Sharks started to pile on the points. Twenty under answered points before the Hoists had an attacking opportunity forced them into pushing passes, going one out and simply not sticking to any kind of game plan.

In the first half the Hoists had three chances to attack the Sharks line but the Sharks solid defence and the Hoists lack of energy meant they went into half time with their tail firmly between their legs. 
A half time rev up by the coach Paul Farah and captain Matthew Cameron saw the Hoists come out in the second half a much better team, holding the football, creating better field position and playing with some passion to at least test the Sharks defence. At times the Hoists looked the better team but as the second half went on the lack of training and match fitness was starting to show. The Hoists had no direction, no real organisation and simply were just out played by a more committed and organised team. 

Coach Paul Farah said after the game that he was disappointed in some of the regular first graders performances.

‘The boys just didn’t turn up today. We were never in the contest’ said Farah.

However Farah was optimistic about the loss.

‘A good defeat now is better than in August because it gives the team time to work on areas that need improvement’.

The Hoists play competition leaders St Albans next Saturday at home.

West London Sharks 40 def Hills Hoists 6 (P.Farah try, J.Fraser 1/1 goals)

Players player Killer 3, Matthew Cameron 2, Graham Forsyth 1



Rugby League Conference - Southern Premier

Hills Hoists v Eastern Rhinos

Monday 5th July


Hoists remain undefeated in 2010

The Hammersmith Hills Hoists continued their unbeaten run, downing the Eastern Rhinos 50-28 at Acton on Saturday.

The win was made even more rewarding due to the fact the home side was missing up to six regular first graders for the second week in a row.

The Hoists first set of defence set the tempo for the rest of the game with some classic hits from Brendan Crilly and Daniel Swanson stinging the opposition in the opening exchanges.

Prop Crilly was the first to cross the stripe when he ran through some would-be defenders before carrying two over the line. Wayde Kelly converted to make it 6-0.

The Hoists were on the attack again from the resuming play with a bust by halfback Kelly who then dished it off to the flying Jamie Fraser who was pulled down just short of the line. The next play saw centre Michael Lieberum who, with a simple draw and pass put Joe Riesterer over in the corner.

All was not sweet for the Hoists when Brendan Crilly came to the sideline with a shoulder injury meaning the already depleted team would have to do with two reserves for the rest of the game.

Fullback Jamie Fraser was the next to score after again backing up a break in play this time by five-eighth Daniel Swanson.

The Rhinos were next to strike when a poor defensive read saw their centre slice through and run forty metres to touch down in the corner. However a mistake from the kick-off by the Rhinos saw the Hoists on the attack once again with Lieberum putting on some fancy footwork and speed to cut through and score the first of his four tries for the day.

After the break the Rhinos came out a different team and posted two quick tries to have the home side starting to peak over their shoulder with the memory of their come from behind draw against the same opposition earlier in the season starting to creep into their minds.

It seemed to go try for try after this with backs Fraser and Lieberum capitalising from the big efforts made by forwards Fraser Hilton and Chris Pomfret to keep the Hoists ahead in the contest.
The heat started to take its toll on both teams but it was Hammersmith who looked hungrier. Paul ‘Fazz’ Farah made it two tries in two games when he came on late in the game to wrap up the win for the Hoists with Wayde Kelly converting to bring up the half century.

A great team performance on the day with special mentions going to Chris Pomfret and Michael Cremona. Pomfret’s service and work from dummy half was outstanding while Cremona’s switch into the forwards seemed to do him a world of good with the Maltese flyer being a real handful for the opposition defence.

Forwards Matt Cosgrove and Jon Harrison played well in their first hit outs for the Hoists and can only improve with more game time and training.

The Hoists will look to continue their winning form when they take on West London Sharks at Grasshoppers next weekend.


Hills Hoists 50 (tries M.Lieberum 4, J.Fraser 2, P.Farah, J.Riesterer, B.Crilly goals W.Kelly 7/9) Def Eastern Rhinos 28


Players player: Michael Lieberum 3, Ben Andrews 2, Chris Pomfret 1 


Rugby League Conference - Southern Premier

Hainault Bulldogs v Hills Hoists


20 June

Hoists hold off Bulldogs

The Hoists went into yesterday’s game looking to keep their unbeaten record intact against a resurgent Bulldogs outfit who had been dubbed the giant killers after impressive wins in the weeks prior.

The game was a spiteful one with the Bulldogs players motivation coming from the fact most of the Hoists team members were Aussie’s, something the Hoists have become used to since their inception in 2009.

Race day at Ascot was to prove the Hoists second biggest opponent with up to 7 regular first graders missing for the game meaning members of the coaching staff including head coach Paul ‘Faz’ Farah needing to strap on the boots.

In poor conditions at Dagenham the Hoists were first to post points with Farah slicing through the defence with his first touch of the ball.

It was a good start for the Hoists who have been criticized for their poor starts to games earlier in the season. Tries to winger Tom Grigson and centre Michael Lieberum extended the lead and with Wayde ‘Spud’ Kelly packing the kicking boots it took the Hoists into half time winning 18-0.

However with the wind behind them in the second half the Bulldogs came out a different team posting two tries in quick succession. The boys kept their composure and scored next through a great draw and pass from Michael ‘Scottish Pret’ Lieberum to put winger Tim Smith over to take them to 22-12 before the Bulldogs crossed again.

The sin binning of 5 players (2 x Hoists, 3 x Bulldogs) including coach/playmaker Farah and hooker Wayne Baker early in the second half for fighting  left the field looking more like a touch game and the Hoists capitalized on the Bulldogs lack of numbers when Lieberum sliced through to run 80m and score under the sticks.

The Bulldogs were the next to score after a mistake on the line from the Hoists leaving their winger only to pounce on the loose ball.

When the sin-binned players returned the Hoists forwards Ben Andrews, Matt Scott and Adam Mooney knuckled down and powered their way up the middle of the field. On the back of this halfback Wayde Kelly sliced through to score adjacent to the posts.

This was the try to break the Bulldogs with the Hoists putting on two more tries with Grigson and Lieberum doubling their tallies for the day.

Hammersmith Hills Hoists 40 (M.Lieberum 2, T.Grigson 2, P.Farah, T.Smith, W.Kelly. W.Kelly 6/7 goals) def Hainault Bulldogs 22

Players player - Wayde Kelly 3, Paul Farah/Ben Andrews 2



Rugby League Conference - Southern Premier

Hills Hoists v South London Storm

Never Give in Attitude on display once again for the Hoists

A highly anticipated cross town match was played out in a very stop, start and at times physical affair.

The Hoists without the majority of their regular starting forward pack managed to show enough grit and determination to send Dujon Jorgenson out a winner despite hitting the lead for the first time with just 2 minutes remaining thanks to a long range try crafted by Jorgenson and finished by a long striding Michael Lieberum.

The storm started the stronger of the two teams and on the back of poor ball control, some silly penalties and dubious touch judge non decisions the Hoists were down 16-0 not long into the match. As soon as the Hoists held onto the ball and managed to get some field position, thanks greatly to a tireless effort from prop Ray Shipway, the compressed defence of the storm struggled to contain the slick backline plays that resulted. 'Smokin' Joe Riesterer scored two tries outwide, unmarked and untouched and Wayde Kelly dove on a loose ball in the ingoal to go to break with the scores at 22-16 which would have flattered the Hoists who were their own worst enemies.

The Hoists started the stronger in the 2nd half but continued to struggle to hold onto the ball. Former Gold Coast Charger Steve Royal scored his first try in 7yrs and the Storm and Hoists traded tries and scrum feeds for the majority of the second half with the storm keeping their noses in front. Mid way through the second half the Storms most dominant player was sent to the sin bin for a swinging arm on a Hoists player on the ground which was quickly followed by a nice try to Jarryd Malcomson on his Hoists debut. But again as had been the story all afternoon the Hoists couldn’t hold onto the ball and the Storm duely responded. A cameo by Phil “unleash the dragon” Browne appeared to motivate and fire up the Storm side until a smart dummy half try from Wayne Baker 8 minutes from time left the Storm looking over thei shoulders. After numerous opportunities for both teams including a bombed try from one of the Hoists boys remembering his back to his union days it was Dujon who finally made the decisive play with 2 minutes remaining. The departin five-eigth took on the Storm line from well within the Hoists half only to show his trademark lack of pace to draw all three covering Storm players and slip a ball to the enigmatic Scotsman to finish the match in style for the Hoists and leave the Storm players thinking what could have been. 36-32 to the Hoists in a thoughroughly entertaining and mistake riddled match.

The Hoists showed what they could do with minimal player size (the 6 and 7 being 2 of the heaviest on the line up) and minimal possession.

 Hills Hoists 36 (tries J.Reisterer 2, W.Kelly, J.Malcomson, W.Baker, M.Lieberum, S.Royal, goals W.Kelly 1/1, D.Jorgenson 2/4, J.Fraser 1/2) def South London Storm 32

Players Player - Ray Shipway 3, Dujon Jorgenson/Dan Swanson 2


London League

Hills Hoists v East London Phantoms

Pintado leads the way for Hoists seconds


Second-rower Angel Pintado has shined in his first game of rugby league for the Hammersmith Hills Hoists seconds in their win over the East London Phantoms at Acton on a wet and windy Saturday afternoon.

In a performance that is likely to see him promoted to firsts in the coming weeks, Wasps recruit Pintado lead the way with his strong runs and bruising defence.

On the back of halves Jamie Fraser and Aaron Redfern the Hoists forwards looked to keep it simple in the open exchanges with props Dan Kachur and Mark Machado leading the way up the middle with Pintado running on to a great ball from Fraser to open the scoring.

Mistakes started to creep in to both sides games which was understandable due to the weather, but the Hoists were again next to strike with a backline move sending winger Michael Cremona over for his first of the day and the Hoists going into the half 12-0 leaders.

A strong start in the second stanza saw hooker Redfern cross the line to extend the Hoists advantage. However a spirited comeback from the Phantoms saw the Hoists lead dwindle to 2 points with ten minutes remaining.

Coach Ben Clarke was visibly concerned at this drop-off in intensity from his players. Following a grilling from the coach the boys lifeted with Pintado, Kachur and Lewis Hussey tightening up around the middle allowing a dashing run from dummy half by Cremona to score under the posts. Fraser kept his perfect day with the boot intact to put the game out of reach for the East London boys.

It’s good to see the new-comers to rugby league starting to find their feet in our game. You can really see the extra game time and training paying off for players like Dan Kachur and Angel Pintado while centre Tom Grigson continues to improve on a weekly basis. Hopefully with a few more games under their belts this team can look to repeat the performance of 2009 really shake-up the London League

Hills Hoists 24 (Tries A.Pintado, A.Redfern, M.Cremona 2, goals J.Fraser 4/4) Def East London Phantoms 16

Players Player - Angel Pintado 3, Aaron Redfern 2, Jamie Fraser 1

Rugby League Conference - Southern Premier

Hills Hoists v Portsmouth Navy Seahawks

Energised Hoists again prove roller-coaster kings


The bounce-back factor in rugby league never ceases to amaze. The Hills Hoists seem to live by it. Their record over the past 5 weeks leading into yesterday's match read: win, draw, draw, and win.

True to form, though, they brushed up yesterday as shiny as a new pin and blew away the Portsmouth Sea-Hawks.

Going into the second half, they lead to 22-0 against what looked like a lethargic and lifeless opposition. They had out-enthused the massive Sea-Hawks and played by far the better football of the two teams.

There appeared to be no reason why they couldn't go on with the onslaught and run up a really big score. Out of nowhere, however, they slowed. Errors crept into their game. The attention to detail and perfect execution they'd shown suddenly evaporated.

Twenty minutes later, they led by just 22-12 and Hoists fans were starting to get a little nervous.

A well executed set piece finished by livewire centre Mike Lieberum finally sealed the deal for the home side. Another runaway try to Brendan McDonough in the dying minutes produced a final score more reflective of the difference between the two sides.

If the Hoists can maintain momentum they have all the other tools to make even the best teams in the RLC take serious notice. Their forward pack is starting to play to their strengths and are dishing out punishment both with and without the ball.

Yesterday, Scott and Mooney were particularly effective. They tormented the Sea-hawks defence via their size and strength. For big men, their footwork is extremely effective in thwarting tacklers. It also gets them into position to push their way through the front line and free their hands for the offload.

When the forwards play with authority, halves Kelly and Jorgenson get their chance. They are a more than useful combination.

I like the try-scoring potential of the Hoists speed men. Riesterer, McDonough, Partridge, Mike Lieberum and Trent Blomfield and can mix it with the best in the league. If the men up front do their job and the halves provide the space, the Hoists have the men to turn it into points.

At their best, this is a good-looking team.

Special mention goes to Corey Williams and Paul Marzella who played their final match for the Hills Hoists and their services will be dearly missed.

Hill Hoists 38 (M Lieberum 2, D Swanson, A Mooney, W Kelly, C Williams, B McDonough tries D Jorgenson 5 goals) bt Portsmouth Sea-Hawks 18

Players Player - Matt Scott 3, Dan Swanson 2, Wayde Kelly 1


 Crilly inspires Hoists in win over competition leaders

The Hammersmith Hills Hoists faced competition leaders St Albans Centurions on Saturday at London Colney. Both teams went into the match undefeated in 2010 however two consecutive draws by the Hills Hoists had them sitting below Centurions on the competition ladder.

After being blastered at training for their poor start to games the Hoists came out to prove they are a force to be reckoned with in this competition. 

An early mistake from the kick-off by Centurions saw the Hoists on the attack with a clever backline move putting centre Trent Blomfield over the stripe for the first points of the day. However the Centurions struck straight back with centre Rudie van der Mewe opening the home sides account.

Injuries to props Luke Bolster (concussion) and Brendan Eckert (shoulder) did not help the Hoists cause but with some composed play the Hoists managed to score again when hooker Wayne Baker pounced on a Wayde Kelly grubber to put them ahead 10-4.

Jorgenson then stamped his foot on the game with a 40/20 kick putting Centurions on the backfoot with Jorgenson scoring his fifth try of the season through the resulting play making the score 16-4 at the half.

The second half saw great defence from both teams in their respective attacking halves with neither able to put points on the board. The breakthrough came with a great kick from Jorgenson which was regathered by Smoking Joe Riesterer who beat the winger and then fullback for his first try of the day.

The Hoists started to dominate possession but could not close the game out and St Albans got back on the board with some good attacking sets resulting in two tries in ten minutes to put the score at 20-18.

The Hoists struggled to close out the game and if it wasn’t for some individual defensive brilliance from Brendan Crilly the game might have been lost. But Smoking Joe Reisterer came to the Hoists rescue with his second try of the game on the wing to put the nail in the coffin.

Hills Hoists 26 (Tries J.Reisterer 2, D.Jorgenson, W.Baker, T.Blomfield Goals D.Jorgenson 3/6) def Centurions 18

Players player 3 Brendan Crilly, 2 Joe Reisterer, 1 Daniel Partridge 


Saturday 15th May


London League

Hills Hoists seconds impress in first outing


The Hammersmith Hills Hoists kicked off their title defence in the London League competition with a convincing 46-14 defeat of the West London Sharks on Saturday.

The Hoists were boosted by the returns of halfback John McKie and hooker Aaron Redfern from injury who guided the team around the park from the outset with McKie slicing through the Sharks defence in the early minutes to score the first of his three for the afternoon.  

Not even some bonecrushing defence from Samoan international Trevor Leota could stifle the Hoists attack with new players Graham Forsyth and Dan Kachur impressing in only their second game of rugby league.

Captain coach Ben Clarke said it was a great way for the club to start their title defence.

‘We had a game plan of using our little guys around the ruck which payed off for us’ said Clarke.
‘The first grade side has already had a couple of games so it was good for these boys to finally get a run and to start off with such a convincing win is a great way to get our title defence underway’.

Hills Hosits 48 (Tries J.Kckie 3, J.Fraser, N.Bates, M.Cremona, G.Forsyth, Lewis. Goals J.Fraser 7/8) def West London Sharks 14 

Rugby League Conference - Southern Premier

In a word, lumbering Hoists were just plain horrible in this stalemate 


This was a loose game of football. Both teams looked enthusiastic and full of intent, but the opening period was amateurish with both guilty of poor passing and dropped balls. Somehow the Sharks managed a try in the corner in the eighth minute from a chip kick; this settled them down because they went the length of the field soon after from another kick to score again.

Suddenly the travelling side was up 10-0 after 12 minutes and to some extent this settled them into a more comfortable rhythm, while the home side continued to splutter around in search of their best form. The Hoists soon took control and gained in confidence as the contest wore on. Of the two, they clearly had more possession and looked better organised in defence. They fought their way back into the contest to turn the game around and lead 12-10 at the break.

The Hoists were guilty of making too many errors as they tried to chase down the Sharks. Credit too must be given to the Sharks' tackling because they forced many of these fumbles with strong collisions. The Sharks scored an easy try in the 65th minute but never really threatened to make a comeback of any significance. The Hoists steadied themselves and Matthew Cameron scooped up a poor kick and raced 60 meters to tie the scores at 16 a piece.


 To be brutally honest, the Hoists' attack had plenty of rough edges. I'm not sure if its nerves, lack of self-belief or simply trying too hard to please the coach. The number of times the ball hits the ground during attacking plays suggests confusion.

However, they make up for their failings with good attitude. It's obvious they want to succeed. They keep shooting themselves in the foot with poor execution, however, and disorganised set play at crucial times.

At times they try to play too fast for their ability; but, then again, the modern game is all about speed of execution so I guess they'll persevere with this frenetic pace until they get it right. It was obvious the Hoists came to the match with an effective game plan. They played on the immobility of the Sharks' forward pack and continually found space around the play-the-ball area with dummy half runs and inside passes.

Starting hooker Wayne Baker, Peach and winger Matthew Cameron continually probed away at the back of the play-the-ball area with good results. The Peach/ Jorgenson combination is starting to look dangerous and they read each other and the opposition defence pretty well. They directed most of their long-side attacking plays at the Sharks' right-hand defence, eventually cracking them with a good try in the corner to Joe Riesterer, Jorgenson failed to add any extras all day.

I'm impressed with the improvement and development of second-row forward Matt Scott. If the playmakers can position him more often, he is an attacking weapon.

The Hoists travel to St Albans this weekend and hopefully can knock off the boys on the top of the table.

Players player 3 Dujon Jorgenson 2 Matty Scott 1 Adam Mooney

Hill Hoists 16
(D Jorgenson 2 M Cameron J Reisterer D Partridge tries D Jorgenson 0 goals) draw West London Sharks 16


Rhino's rue the one that got away

May 9, 2010
STUNNED Rhino’s coach bemoaned a series of wrong options after seeing his side surrender a 24 - 10 lead, to narrowly hold on for a 24 all draw at Colchester yesterday.
The Rhino’s were reeled in, in the most unlikely fashion by a comeback that was possibly the ugliest display of Rugby League I’ve witnessed.

The Rhino’s had been dominant almost throughout, with their front-rower and his forwards bashing the Hoists pack for much of the encounter.  A 14-point lead with 15 minutes to go that probably should have been much more, the Hoists made them pay, with outstanding front rower Brendan Eckert the inspiration, scoring 2 tries and setting up another with a wonderful around-the-corner pass for Hooker Wayne Baker to almost level the scores with the visitors scoring two tries in five minutes.
Chris Peach after spending 10 minutes in the Sin-bin calmly strolled in and potted the conversion to complete the remarkable comeback.
''We didn't get into the game until the 53rd minute and we almost won the game,'' Farah said. ''It wasn't very well managed by us. It was a game we should never have been in the contest. We had plenty of opportunities and possession but our discipline in defence and handling errors cost us dearly”.
''We went away from what has been working for us and made a couple of wrong options. It looked like we were ultimately going to pay the penalty for them. I think we have just got a little bit ahead of ourselves, and it will be back to basics this week at training.''
Farah gave RLC premier and Rugby League debuts to Tomasz Persk from Poland and Graham Forsyth of Zimbabwe, who impressed in their first Rugby League outing. Farah explained the tightness of the contest meant he would have liked to wait one more week for them to make their debuts but they impressed none the less.
The Hoists captain Chris Peach said they were their own worst enemy, giving away far too much field position to quality opposition and being ill disciplined.
''We made some dumb mistakes,'' Peach said. ''That ultimately cost us the chance to win the game”.
Front rowers Brendan Eckert, Ben Andrews and Adam Mooney were the standouts, with the player’s player votes, three, two and one respectively and the old veteran’s continuing to prove there is plenty of life in their old legs yet.
The Hoists host their first home game this weekend against West London Sharks.
Hill Hoists 24 (B Eckert 2 M Cremona T Grigson W Baker tries C Peach 2 goals) draw Eastern Rhinos 24


Ben Andrews

3rd May

Hoists 38 def Kiwis 12

Hills Hoists win back to back ANZAC Cups


The Hills Hoists proved to strong for their Kiwi counterparts in the annual ANZAC Challenge held at Twyford Avenue Sports ground on Sunday.

The Hoists, made up of the Australian born players from the club weathered the initial onslaught from the imposing Kiwi forwards before centre Daniel Partridge broke through the line to set up Matt Scott for his first of two tries for the day.

Despite some bone crushing defence from the Kiwis, the Hoists managed to win the field position battle through their structured play and clever kicking game by halves Dujon Jorgenson and Manly Sea Eagle recruit Clint Halden. The Hoists went into halftime leading 20-0.

The second half saw a rejuvenated Kiwi pack who ran out the second half looking to impress the largely New Zealand crowd. After three sets of six on the Kangaroos line the Kiwis finally crossed for their first not long after the break only for the Hoists to hit straight back with a clever kick and regather from Clint Halden to eventually put Dujon Jorgenson over the stripe for his second of the day.

A further two tries to the Hoists sealed the victory with one late try to the Kiwis in the closing stages of the game.

Coach Paul Farah said he was delighted with the way his team had stuck to their game plan.

‘We knew if we stuck to our structure we would wear their big guys down’ said Farah after the game.

‘We had some structure and continuity from our previous Hills Hoists games and training, something we used to our advantage out their today’.

Best on ground Matt Scott believed the game was won in the opening exchanges.

‘We knew they would come out hard and looking to bash us around a bit’ said Scott.

‘But us forwards knew that if we took the punishment in the early stages of the game that we had blokes in the backs that could run rings around the bigger guys later in the game which they did’.

Regular Conference Southern Premier competition continues next week for the Hoists when they take on the Eastern Rhinos at Colchester.

Hills Hoists 38 (Tries M.Scott 2, D.Jorgenson 2, C.Halden, M.Bates Goals D.Jorgenson 7/7) def London Kiwis 12



Hoists 48 def Skolars 18

Sunday 25th April



26 April 2010

It’s a 13 a side code and that was all the Hills Hoists had to pick from after the squad was reduced to 13 players in the first half. The Hills Hoists played out of their skin to register their first win in the RLC Premier for season 2010.

It was the Hills Hoists own Scottish Braveheart, Mike Lieberum that inspired his mates to hold onto a slim halftime lead to eventually run away winners 48-18 over the London Skolars.

Lieberum bagged a hat trick in the end and also went home with the player’s player for his brilliant display of speed and fancy footwork. 

After a few boys went missing before kick off leaving the Hoists with only 15 players to start the game, they were quickly reduced to 13 when they lost their halfback Wayde Kelly (forearm), and flying winger mad Joe Reisterer with concussion. While the Hoists ran away with the win, the first half was tight only going into the break leading 16-12. 

However through shear guts and determination the boys remained solid and eventually won the arm wrestle with the Skolars. Coach Paul Farah was delighted with his sides display and said that after winning the early contest they played some champagne rugby league.  

''Seasons aren't won in round one,'' Farah said. ''Right now we're doing what we want to do, and playing pretty consistent at the moment. We've just got to try and maintain that and see what's happening around August or September.''

If nothing else, round one did show the Skolars that they are still some way off the top sides yet.

''We came here with the intention of having a proper crack at a team that we thought were going to be strong- they're certainly ranked in the top few clubs in London at the moment '' Farah said.

''For us to have a crack at them and see how we went was an opportunity that was too good to be passed up. And I think we did. I think our guys had a pretty solid go at them.''

He was right, even if the scoreline made the Skolars look well beaten in the end. The match was more keenly contested than that.

The Skolars had been embarrassed 60-18 in the corresponding clash last season but this was a different Skolars side, and their intent was clear in the opening stages of the game, even faced with a Hills Hoists line-up as good, if not better, than last year's version.

''There were times there where you were just hoping they'd drop the ball, or the ball would go dead for us to get a rest, but it wouldn’t'' Hoists prop Ben Andrews said.

Next weeks clash see’s the Hoists take a week off from RLC to concentrate on the annual ANZAC Challenge against the London Kiwis at Wasps.

HILLS HOISTS 48 (M Lieberum 3 T Blomfield 2 B Erkert B McDonough J Reisterer B Andrews tries W Kelly 2 goals C Peach 2 goals) bt SKOLARS 18

London RL 9's Tournament

Sunday 18th April 2010

Semi Final:

Hills Hoists Def London Kiwis 10-4



Hills Hoists Def West London Sharks 16-0


It took some waiting but we finally got a glimpse of the real deal Hoists


April 19, 2010

Dual International Paul Marzella is celebrating 9’s victory after his fancy foot work ensured the Hills Hoists bag another piece of silverware. The Hills Hoists beat 5 tough 9’s teams on Sunday to claim the inaugural London preseason 9’s tournament at the Grasshoppers.

Time will tell if the Hills Hoists are to make an impact on this 2010 RLC premiership race, but during the searing heat yesterday they at least showed they are capable, however no one has ever doubted their ability.

The day was a great chance for those Hoists players who had played limited rugby league to get a taste for what was to come.

The Hills Hoist's completion rate was outstanding, and starving the quality opposition of the football certainly paved way for the tournament victory.

When opposition teams did hold on to the football and get themselves into attacking zones, they failed to expose the Hoists defensive structure which was tireless with its bone-crunching defence lead by enforcers Matt Scott, Brendan Crill, and name sake Eckert.

At the other end of the field brilliantly rehearsed set plays from the Hoists caused panic in the decision-making of the oppositions outside backs which provided numerous tries for Danny Partridge, Matthew Cameron, Scottish Mike and Paul Marzella.

Captain Dujon Jorgenson and Luke Sante directed the team around the park all afternoon and their experience and class prevailed at the end of the day.

The victory could be summed up in a few words, determination, urgency, pride, desperation, commitment and hunger to win, while having great fun playing the great game of Rugby League.

Make a Free Website with Yola.